To remove the leaf spring for replacement or maintenance follow these steps:
- Raise the vehicle with a jack under the axle. Place a stand jack under the frame side rail. Then lower the axle jack so that the load is relieved from the spring with the wheels resting on the floor.
- Remove nuts securing the spring clip bolts. Remove the spring plate and clip bolts. Free the spring from the axle by raising the axle jack.
- Remove the pivot bolt nut and drive out the pivot bolt. Disconnect the shackle either by removing the lower nuts and bolts on rubber bushed shackles, or by removing the threaded bushings on U-shackles.
How to remove the leaf spring assembly and front axle from your Willys Jeep – Part of an ongoing “Jeep” disassembly and restoration series sponsored by Kaiser Willys. Watch other Build Your Willys videos on YouTube.
- On bronze bushed pivot bolts, install the bolt and nut and tighten the nut. Then back it off two cotter pin slots and install the cotter pin. The nut must be drawn up tightly but must be sufficiently loose to allow the spring to pivot freely. Otherwise the spring could break.
- On rubber bushed pivot bolts, install the pivot bolt and locknut only tight enough to hold the bushings in position until the vehicle is lowered from the jack.
- Connect the shackle.
- Move the axle into position on the spring by lowering or raising the axle jack. Place the spring center bolt in the axle saddle. Install the spring clip bolts, spring plate, lockwashers, and nuts. Torque the nuts 50 to 55 lb-ft. Do not over tighten. Be sure the spring is free to oscillate at both ends.
- Remove both jacks. On rubber bushed shackles and pivot bolts, allow the weight of the vehicle to seat the bushings in their operating positions. Then torque the nuts to 27 to 30 lb-ft.
This comprehensive kit covers everything for both the front and rear of vehicle. Kit includes:
New Front Leaf Spring Assemblies (8 leaf)
New Rear Leaf Spring Assemblies (9 leaf)
New Front & Rear Shock Absorbers (4)
New Front and Rear Shackle Kits (4)
New Front and Rear Pivot Eye Bushings (4)
New Front and Rear Greasable Pivot Eye Bolts (4)
New Front and Rear Leaf Spring U-Bolt Clips (8)
New Front and Rear Leaf Spring U-Bolt Long Nuts (16)
Everything you need to make your vehicle ride like it’s new from the factory!!
Q: I bought this Suspension kit from you. How do I remove the bushing on the leaf springs to install the new Shackle kit ? thanks.
- A: The easiest way is to take a socket that is the size of the bushing on one end of the leaf spring. Take a larger socket on the other side that is the size of the leaf spring. Put into a vise and squeeze a little. The smaller socket will push the bushing into the larger socket. It will just fall in with little effort.
Q: Do the springs assembly have threaded ends for the shackles to thread into? Do the Shackles have zerk fittings to grease the shackles ?.
- A: The leaf springs never originally were threaded. The shackle bushing has threads on the outside just like original that bite into the metal on the leaf spring. It works out perfectly. Yes, they come with the fittings as well.
*EMAIL or call Mike Toll Free (1-888-648-4923) Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm EST if you have any questions about this part or restoring your Willys.