Tightsteer Sector Shaft Tensioner for 41-71 Willys MB, GPW, CJ-2A, 3A, 3B, and 5
Free play reducer for Ross Steering Boxes. The TightSteer is an aftermarket devise that is designed to reduce freeplay in steering systems that is common in Willys. The TightSteer is a spring-loaded mechanism that replaces the sector shafts’ set screw and provides constant pressure thru the entire rotation of the worm gear. It reduces free play and the dreaded ‘Willys Wobble”. For 7/16″ sectors shafts found on all these vehicles. No drilling or modifiction is required. It is a bolt on system.
Call Mike @Kaiserwillys.com for details at TOLL FREE 1-888-648-4923 (Mon-Fri, 9AM-5PM EST).
New TightSteer Sector Shaft Tensioner – Part#: 716100
Q: When you install the tightsteer can you do it on the jeep without removing the gear box or the fender?
- A: It is recommended to remove it. It is a lot easier to install.
Q: I have a 1967 CJ-5. I see there are 3 PN for this part. Can you tell me what exactly is the difference so I can check to see if this will work? (maybe a cross reference)
- A: If you have a 67 CJ-5 with the V6-225 engine then you most likely have the 15/16″ diameter sector shaft. The earlier CJ’s used a 7/8″ diameter sector shaft. The TightSteer kit is designed accordingly.
Q: The second gear will pop out on my CJ-3A, why?
- A: It is your synchronizer. I would check it for wear.
Q: Will this work on a M38A1 and if not do you have one that will?
- A: 716200A is the part number you want to order for that vehicle.
Q: What is the correct item number for the Tightsteer sector shaft tensioner for a 1968 CJ-5?
- A: That is part number: 716200A for the 1968 CJ-5 with the V6-225. This is the proper part number for it with the 4-134 engine with 7/8″ shaft.
Q: What part number will fit a 1968 CJ-5 with a V6 engine?
- A: 716200A is the part number for that one with the V6-225.
Q: Are instructions included in this kit?
- A: Yes there is a full set of instructions with it.
Q: Will the tightsteer fit a 1971 CJ-5 with a 134 motor?
- A: Yes, as long as you have the 7/8″ diameter sector shaft.
*EMAIL or call Mike Toll Free (1-888-648-4923) Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm EST if you have any questions about this part or restoring your Willys.