Replacement Saturn Overdrive For 41-71 Jeep & Willys
Comes complete with shifter and everything you need for install. This all-range overdrive is a great addition to any of the early model Jeeps from 1940 to 1971. The addition of this 25% overdrive unit offers you the needed gearing the early Jeeps were lacking.
The Saturn overdrive is a fully synchronized unit that can be shifted-on-the-fly. When installing the unit, only minor modifications are required to the floorboard for the shifter. The Saturn is built to handle up to 300 ft./lbs. of torque, well within the range of a stock V8.
The Saturn is the original unit designed and developed by Warn Industries. The units were offered with the 6 and 10 spline internal assembly and the 26 or 29 tooth output gear.
The Saturn overdrive installs directly on the backside of the transfer case through the inspection cover. No cutting or modification of the drivetrain is required. No relays and electrical connections required.
Q: The description of the Saturn overdrive talks about different splines. Do you need to know which spline configuration you have and specify for ordering?
- A: It is either 26 or 29. We can tell by your vehicle. Or you can count it be removing the cover plate on the back of your transfercase.
Q: My stock 1946 CJ-2A tops out around 40 mph, what would be my new top speed with this over drive?
- A: You get a 25% increase in top end.
Q: Can the stock driveshaft be used or does it have to be modified or replaced?
- A: Your stock driveshaft is fine. It bolts to the back of the transfercase next to the driveshaft on the inspection cover. So it does not interfere or change anything on the stock driveshaft.
Q: I have a 53 CJ-3A. Where does the shifter come through the floor? Does it come through the factory PTO drive hole?
- A: Yes that is correct.
Q: Does it come with a special shifter boot, or will the factory PTO drive shifter boot work with this?
- A: The factory PTO boot should work with this fine.
Q: Description says everything is included but I don’t see the shift lever boot. Do I need to order the PTO BOOT if I purchase this Saturn Overdrive?
- A: Yes I would order a PTO BOOT as well.
Q: I have an M38 with the removable floor plate covering the transmission area. Will the boot plate and boot adapt to go over this floor plate?
- A: Yes I’m sure it could be.
Q: Is this unit a workable option on my ’48 Jeepster. It has the overdrive unit, but it does not operate properly. Will this fit? And if so, what of the old components would need to be removed?
- A: These are not for a 48 Jeepster. They only fit the vehicles listed.
Q: I have a 1954 CJ-3B. Will the shifter for the overdrive come thru the floor between the seats.
- A: Yes that is correct.
Q: I have a 1956 Willys CJ-5. The emergency/parking brake is between the drive shaft and the transfer case. Will that interfere with the overdrive unit?
- A: No this will not interfere. It bolts to the access cover next to it on the back side of the transfer case. It is made specifically for this application.
*EMAIL or call Mike (1-888-648-4923) if you have any problems building your Willys.