For the best performance and dependability of the engine it should have a periodic tune-up twice yearly, the best times in the fall and spring. The old saying “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” was never truer than when applied to a motor vehicle. Small or simple problems if ignored can become more troublesome and could even cause other problems.
For the best results these steps should be followed in order.
- First remove the spark plugs, clean thoroughly, and replace if needed. The gap should be set to .030″ or 0.76mm.
- Clean and tighten the battery cable terminals, the battery ground connection and the ground strap on the right side of the engine at the front engine support. The ground strap should be properly installed for correct starter and light operation.
- Remove the distributor cap and inspect the contact points. Adjust the points, gap to .020″ or .51 mm. Clean and inspect the distributor point for any cracks or imperfections, the smallest crack can cause misfire. Replace if imperfections are found. Check the distributor point for any play, install a new bushing if that is the case.
- Check ignition timing.
- Check the valve tappet clearance. Adjust to .014″ or 0.356 mm clearance with engine hot or cold.
- Clean the fuel pump filter screen and check fuel line connections. Remove the ventilator valve and clean.
- Start the engine and allow it to run until thoroughly warm then set the carburetor idle screw so the engine will idle at 600 rpm, approx. 6 mph vehicle speed.
- Adjust the carburetor low speed idle screw so that the engine will idle smoothly.
New Replacement Solex Carburetor - Part#: 923806
No core charge!!!
Spark Plug Cable Set – Part# 930457
For 41-53 Jeep & Willys with 4-134 L engine
Complete for all four spark plugs and coil wires. Comes with proper 90 degree boots for flat head motor. Proper suppression for the early ignitions. Works for either 6 or 12 volt.
Complete Solid State Electronic Ignition Distributor 12 volt – Part#: 923068
For 41-71 Jeep & Willys with 4-134 engine
*EMAIL or call Mike Toll Free (1-888-648-4923) Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm EST if you have any questions about this part or restoring your Willys.