- First drain the transmission and transfer case, then replace the drain plugs.
- Disconnect brake cable.
- At the transfer case disconnect the front and rear propeller (drive) shafts.
- Disconnect speedometer cable at the transfer case.
- Disconnect the transfer case shift levers. Loosen set screw and remove the pivot pin. Then using a screw driver pry the shift lever springs away from shift levers. Lift the levers from the transfer case.
- On the rear face of the transfer case remove the cover plate. Then remove cotter key, nut and washer from transmission main shaft.
- Remove the transfer case main drive gear from the transmission main shaft.
- Remove the transfer case mounting bracket bolt and nut.
- Remove transmission to transfer case bolts.
- Remove the output shaft nuts and washers using tool – C-3281. Remove rear output shaft companion flange with brake drum and front output shaft yoke with tool – W-172.
- Remove cover bolts, lockwashers, and bottom cover.
- Remove the lockplate screw, lockwasher, and lock plate.
- Use a brass punch to drive out the intermediate shaft to the rear of the case. Do not lose the thrust washers located at each end of the gear shaft.
- Remove the intermediate gear, two thrust washers, needle bearings, and spacers, thru the bottom of the case.
- Remove the poppet plugs, springs, and balls both sides of front bearing cap. Shift front wheel shift lever to engaged position (shaft forward).
- Remove the screws, lockwashers, holding the front bearing cap. Remove the cap as an assembly including the clutch shaft, bearing, clutch gear, fork, and shift rod. Use care not to lose the interlock which floats between the shift rods.
- Remove the screws, lockwashers holding the brake backing plate assembly and rear output cap with speedometer gear assembly. Remove entire unit as an assembly.
- Use a rawhide hammer to drive against the front end of output shaft to drive the rear bearing cup from the case. Use Tool W-139, to wedge front bearing cone and roller assembly from its seat on the shaft. Place Tool W-141, on the output shaft between the front bearing and output shaft gear. Use a rawhide hammer to drive against the rear end of the output shaft to remove front bearing cup from the case. Loosen the snap ring and slide it forward on the shaft. Drive the shaft thru the rear of the case. As the shaft is removed, gears, snap ring, and thrust washer will remain in the case and can be removed from the bottom. Remove rear bearing cone and roller assembly from the shaft by striking the end of the shaft lightly against a wooden block.
- Remove the set screw in slding gear shift fork. Then remove the shift rod.
Minor Overhaul Repair Kit (for 1-1/8″ shaft)
For 46-53 Jeep & Willys with Dana 18 transfercase
New Front & Rear Bearing Set
New Gasket Set with Oil Seals
New Intermediate Shaft
New Small Parts Kit (snap rings, thrust washers, roller bearings)
For 41-71 Jeep & Willys with D18 transfercase
*EMAIL or call Mike Toll Free (1-888-648-4923) Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm EST if you have any questions about this part or restoring your Willys.