The Willys jeep was such a utilitarian and universal vehicle that after the war Willys developed many versions for civilian use. In 1945 Willys Overland developed the CJ-2 Fire, a rural fire truck which was just about self-contained. Based on the original MB, it used a Barton U-40 centrifugal pump which was mounted ahead of the grille, with a protective bumper. The ladder which was around 20 ft long and wooden was located on a rack on top of the vehicle. Entry into this compact vehicle was a little difficult with the hard suction hoses running along the sides of the truck. The hoses were positioned on the ladder rack instead of the sides on later models.
Two spotlights were located at the top of the ladder rack in the back of the vehicle to illuminate the scene. Firefighters could ride on the rear step below the spotlights. The enclosed hose compartment of the CJ-2 fire truck held several hundred feet of hose, both four inch and 2-1/2 inch. The spare tire was held on the roof of the hose compartment and could hold nozzles and other equipment on the sides. Water could be pulled from a water trailer, or it could be drawn from a stream or pond in rural areas. In 1947 the CJ-2A had a Barton pump that could move 375 gallons of water per minute.
These early fire jeep trucks were instrumental in saving lives and property during the WWII postwar years.
Have Willys Jeep photos? Submit them to our blog webmaster.