How to Install your Willys Jeep CJ-5 Steering Knuckle – Part of an ongoing “How-To” disassembly and restoration series sponsored by Kaiser Willys.
To begin, place the king pin bearing cups flush in the axle housings. Next pull the oil seal felt padding and rubber seal over the axle for easy installation later. Place the greased king pin bearing cones in the bearing cups and grease the axle housing. Mount the steering knuckle support. Place shims on the king pin bearing cap before inserting it into the top of the knuckle support. Secure the bottom of the knuckle support with the second king pin bearing cap. Bolt on the king pin bearing caps with lock washers, tightening the bolts with the proper torque. Press the rubber oil seal into the back of the knuckle support around the axle housing. Next press the felt padding against the rubber seal. To finish, bolt on the upper and lower steel retaining plates, securing the oil seal.
Steering Knuckle Installation
1. King Pin Bearing Cup – Item#: 52941
2. Steering Knuckle Seal Kit – Item#: 915664
3. King Pin Bearing Cone – Item#: 52940
4. Drivers Side Steering Knuckle Support – Item#: 805783
5. Passenger Side Steering Knuckle Support – Item#: 805784
6. King Pin Bearing Shims – Item#: A6882
7. King Pin Bearing Cap – Item#: 910901
Call Mike @Kaiserwillys.com for details at TOLL FREE 1-888-648-4923 (Mon-Fri, 9AM-5PM EST).