The Willys Jeep DJ series, or Dispatcher Jeep, was produced from 1955-1970 by Kaiser then from 1970-1984 by American Motors. The DJ-3A was produced from the CJ-3A body type with the L-134 engine. The DJ series was largely recycled using leftover jeep body styles and existing technology, making these jeeps inexpensive delivery vehicles. It came with either a column shift or floor shift three-speed Borg Warner T-96 manual transmission, which was the first since the CJ-2A to have a column shift. The DJ models were offered with many different body options including a soft top, hard top, or a full van body.
The DJ could also come in right-hand drive for postal delivery use. From 1959 – 1964 the Jeep Gala, or DJ-3A, was produced and marketed as a “fun car”, used in resorts in the Caribbean, Hawaii, and then later as the Jeep Surrey in the United States. The Surreys came in pink, light green, and light blue and the tops were striped using the same color as the body, with a matching fabric cover for the spare tire mount. DJ-A thru DJ-M became the Postal/Dispatch Jeep for most of America. Rural areas still used the Jeeps through 1984… Although rare, there are reportedly still Postal Jeeps in service today in a few areas.
The models of the DJ Series:
- DJ-3A: produced 1955-1965, 4-134 L head engine, three speed manual
- DJ-5: produced 1965-1967, Hurricane F head engine, three speed manual
- DJ-5A: produced 1968-1970, Chevy Nova straight 4, two speed powerglide automatic
- DJ-5B: produced 1970-1972, AMC Straight 6 engine, BorgWarner T-35 three speed automatic
- DJ-5C: produced 1973 -1974 AMC Straight 6 engine, T-35 or M-11 automatic
- DJ-5D: produced 1975-1976, AMC Straight 6 engine, 727 TorqueFlite automatic
- DJ-5E: produced 1976, Electruck Electric
- DJ-5F: produced 1977-1978, AMC Straight 6 engine 727 TorqueFlite automatic
- DJ-5G: produced 1979 AMC Straight 4 engine, automatic
- DJ-5L: Produced 1982, GM Iron Duke Straight 4 engine, Chrysler 904 transmission
- DJ-5M: produced 1983-1984, AMC Straight 4 engine, Chrysler 904 Transmission
Have Willys Jeep photos? Submit them to our blog webmaster.